November 5, 2008

Jet Lag



Greetings from Basel. We survived the plane ride and made it to our temporary accomodations at the Basel Hilton. I won't elaborate on the plane experience except to say that Eli was very very good and Ethan was not...those poor Business Class execs seated around us! All 10 checked bags made it and, with Eli blindly steering Ethan in the stroller, we got through customs without any problems.

We were met at the airport by our relocation assistant, Eileen. After checking into the hotel, she took Ben to buy monthly tram passes, apply for residency permits and open a bank account. Without delay, I ventured with the boys to Starbucks. I was happy to find that most of my long abnoxious order is said the same way here. The milk options did throw me for a loop (I have since learned how to ask for Magermilch) and, unlike in the States where it is assumed you want your coffee to go, here they assume you want to stay and leisurly enjoy your beverage (note: no one else had brought children with them). So, with Eli loudly wanting to know why they didn't have "neminem" cookies here, I gulped down my full fat latte and we scurried back to the hotel.

After struggling to stay awake through our cute room service dinner, we were all in bed by 8:00pm...and then all wide awake at 2:00am. The boys watched a movie and Ben and I tuned into the election. It was so early in the results that McCain was winning when we fell back asleep.

Somehow Ben managed to get up in time to meet the movers at the apartment promptly at 7:00am. Five guys and an elaborate outdoor elevator system had everything into the apartment by 11:00am. The Swiss are extremely punctual and efficient!

Now its time to unpack and put together our new home sweet home!