While we love the Philadelphia Flyers, in this case I am referring to the Therwil Flyers - the small ragtag group of American kids that gather on Thursday afternoons in Therwil to play t-ball.
I am thankful that the boys have the opportunity to play t-ball here, but this is a far cry from the Little League we are used to. Maybe its the Swiss, softball-player coaches (Heidi and Carmen), maybe its the lack of uniforms, or that practices are held on a running track; I'm not sure. But, it was a little embarrassing on Sunday when the Neuenburg (Germany) Atomics came to town for our one and only game!
The Neuenburg Atomics were legitimate! Uniforms, coaches with whistles and clipboards, laps to warm up, and some serious athletes. Our team, with one batting helmet that didn't fit half the players, didn't know what direction to run after hitting the ball or what to do with the ball when we managed to catch it. We got crushed!!
But, look at how much fun the kids had...taunting the other team, fighting for the ball in the outfield, and high-fives at the end. THAT is what it is all about. And that is why we'll sign up again next season (though I really might see what I can do about uniforms)!